About the Seal
Shield, denotes that Carasi is within the Province of Ilocos Norte
Deer, represents hunting as means of livelihood of the townspeople
Pine Tree, stands for the forest products that abound in the town
Center Design, signifies defense and protection (shield); hardwork (bolo); and patriotism and bravery (spear).
Carasi is bounded on the south by Solsona; on the north of Vintar; on the west by Piddig; and on the east by the Cordillera Mountains separating the Provinces of Ilocos Norte from the Provinces of Kalinga and Apayao. The town is hilly and sometimes barren during the dry season. It has a land area of 157.38 square kilometers, with a population of 750in 1995.
The name Carasi is derived from the word Carosikis, a tree of exuberant growth later called Carasi. The site is near a forest which made people believed that the Itnegs were the first lowlanders to settle, staying as late as 1902.
Carasi was a formerly a sitio of Sta. Maria, Piddig, Ilocos Norte. It became a municipal district in 1903 under Piddig, which was then completely occupied by the Itneg tribes. In 1913, Juan Melad Infiel was appointed alcalde of Carasi. With foresight that Parparia (now Barbaqueza) would become a good ground for settlement, Melad encouraged his tribements to settle in the place. Some stayed in Parparia while the others went to Carasi. In 1923, when Carasi was already a municipal district of Piddig, it was designated as the Non-Christian Reservation in Nagpapalcan. It was proclaimed the following year a a Cultural Minority Resevation.
In 1939, Juan Cawada was appointed alcalde of the town. He led the townspeople in the ambuscade against the Japanese in Pan-panniqui. He served as alcalde until the end of the war. He run unopposed in the local election in 1946. He was succeded by Gerardo Aguibay who pioneered a tax declaration campaigne and subdivided the district into small political units creating Barbaqueza, Virbira and Angset.
The election of 1959 brought more progress and development to the town under its longest serving mayor, Cecilio S. Bulil-lit. He was responsible for the issueance of a Presidential Decree declaring Carasi as a regular town on May 16, 1983.
The inhibitants of Carasi raise rice, corn and vegetables which are the town’s main products. Secondary products include rattan, lumber, firewood and gogo bark. The Pan-panniqui and Cora Rivers are potential tourist spots.