About the Seal
Shield, derived fron the Provincial Seal of Ilocos Norte
Letter V, stands for the word Vintar, the name of the municipality
Eagle, represents the native hawk, commonly called Siwawer by the old folks and after which the people of Vintar are referred to
Landscape, Plow, Rice Stalk, Onion, Garlic, Mango, Eggplant and Tobacco Leaf, at the left side of the shield representing the municipality’s principal farming industries
Dam, Gatevalve, Water and Fish, at the right side of the shield represent Vintar-Laoag-Bacarra irrigation system. The dam also stands for the Siwawers, a resort the town is famous for; the fish symbolizes one of the main income generating products of the locality.
Vintar is located on a plain land surrounded by mountains. It is bounded on the north by Bacarra; on the east by Piddig; on the south by Dingras and Sarrat; and on the west by parts of Bacarra and Laoag. It has a land area of 624.85 square kilometers and a population of 27, 460 in 1995. It comprises of five barangays.
Vintar derived its name from the Ilocano word, intar, which used to described the formation or order taken by the subject from their ruler whenever the chief called them to attention. It is said that a visiting Spanish missionary named Leano, heard the word and add the letter V. The town is considered as the sixth major river system in the region. Its head waters are on the western Cordillera slopes at the Kalinga and Apayao borders. It flows eastward and irrigates most of the flat lands of Ilocos Norte before making its exit into the China Sea.
The town earliest settlers are believed to be Indonesian. They first settled on a hill overlooking the Vintar River where its huge dam is located. In the early 16th century, the town was founded by a Catholic missionary who got lost in the woods while hunting between Sarrat and Piddig. Vintar was made the visita of Bacarra in 1600. Ten years later, it was established as a parish os San Nicolas de Tolentino. Earlier in 1763, Vintar was reverted to a visita until it became independent in 1774.
In 1903, Vintar was annexed as a barrio Bacarra. It gained its separation and independence in 1909.
The town is home to one of the biggest convents in the Province of Ilocos Norte. In 1931, an earthquake partially destroyed its church. Five years later, it was restored and so was its convent in 1982. The convent houses the Saint Nicolas Institute.
Vintar celebrates it town fiesta every 10th of September. A religious tradition inherited from the Augustinians lives on-the distribution of San Nicolas biscuits.
The people of Vintar are engage in farming, fishing and herding. The town is generally rural but famous all over the province for its beautiful women with strongly Spanish features. It is also the site of the Governor’s Resthouse, the town’s popular resort.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.