PGIN delivers relief to typhoon 'Huaning' affected areas

Aug 01, 2017 ...

The Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte (PGIN) through the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) distributed over 200 boxes of relief goods yesterday to residents of barangays and towns affected by Typhoon Huaning (international name: Haitang).

Huaning entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) last Sunday morning, July 30, and left yesterday evening. However, intermittent rains persist until today.

Storm Signal No. 1 was issued over the province from Sunday afternoon to 11:00 PM; thus Governor Imee R. Marcos ordered the activation of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) to be on the lookout for crisis reports and conduct evacuation if needed.

Beneficiaries of yesterday's relief operations were those from areas in Currimao, Batac, Banna, Solsona, and Pasuquin that experienced heavy flooding.

A total of 74 families or 297 individuals were transferred to evacuation centers with the following breakdown : 188 in Currimao; 84 in Pasuquin; 14 in Batac City; seven in Laoag City; and four in San Nicolas.

No class or government work suspensions were announced, and all national roads have remained passable for all types of vehicles throughout the typhoon.

Dingras Mayor Erdio Valenzuela, who is also president of the League of Municipal Mayors (LMP) Ilocos Norte Chapter, reiterated to beneficiaries the importance of "disaster preparedness," saying, "basar kadagiti napalpalabasen wenno simmangbay a bagbagio, dagitan ti nagbalinen a referensiatayo. Masapol talaga a nakasaganatayo latta."

(Base sa mga nakaraang bagyo, 'yan na ang naging reperensiya natin. Kailangan talagang handa tayo lagi.)

Child casualty from drowning

Despite pre-emptive evacuation, Ilocos Norte suffered one casualty: four-year-old child Anthony Barcena Jr. of Brgy. Dungtal, Laoag City. He was found drowning in an irrigation in front of their house on Sunday, according to Ms. Joane Pasuige of the City Social Welfare and Development Office.

Barcena's parents were reportedly repairing a house window when they noticed that their child was missing.

Though rushed to the Governor Roque Ablan Memorial Hospital, he was declared dead on arrival.

by Ma. Christian A. Ramos

More News